Jenn's Excellent Adventure

I am going to try to keep a travel journal to share with my family and friends. Check out my pictures!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

This weekend was such a blast.

On Friday night, I went out with Tizoc and Blanca. They are students from Fullerton too.

Tizoc is gay, so we went with him to a gay bar in the 1st. (Across the river from where I live). It was so much fun. I love gay clubs. Blanca and I were 2 of only I think 4 girls in the place. It was so awesome.

As we were leaving, Blanca and I were standing by the door while Tizoc went to get his stuff from the coat check. An older guy, obviously drunk, and came up to me us and said “You know that you are in a club for boys?” We just looked at each other, I was afraid to respond, and then he said “But you both are very cute” and walked away.

And in Paris, the Metros stop running at about 12:30-1 am. But there is a whole system of night busses set up, which is awesome. There are three lines that run by my apartment. Yay for not spending money on taxis!

On Saturday, I went to the Panthéon. The Panthéon is a building in France where some of the giants of French history are laid to rest. It is a stunning building that was built to replace a church that was built in the 500s.

The upper floor was closed due to restorations. But the ground floor was remarkable. Except that there was an “art display” that pretty much ruined it for me. The “art” seemed to be someone wanting to drape something that looked like balls around a beautiful building. Needless to say, I didn’t get it.

Downstairs was the crypt. We saw the crypts of Pierre and Marie Curie (Marie Curie is the only woman deemed worthy enough to be interred there), Rousseau, Voltaire, Louis Braille (which had a Braille marker under his name, which I thought was cool), Zola, Dumas, important revolutionaries, statesmen, and heroes of the resistance, and my new favorite author, Victor Hugo.

I am now reading Notre Dame de Paris (The Hunchback of Notre Dame). In French. The more I learn about Hugo, his life, and his works, the more I admire and respect who he was. Plus, he wrote great stories.

After the Panthéon, we went to the church right next door, St. Etienne du Mont. It was beautiful. The church has the tomb of St. Geneviève (the patron saint of Paris) which was actually destroyed during the French Revolution, but salvaged, as well as Relics. Racine and Pascal were interred at the church, but because so much was destroyed during the Revolution, they really don’t know where now.

And after getting lost, we went and saw the Arènes de Lutèce. It was this really cool Roman arena that just seems to be hidden in the middle of buildings.

After that, we headed back to my place, and got Vietnamese food for dinner. It was soooooo good. And then we went to Sylvana’s, rented Les Poupées Russes (the sequel to L’Auberge Espagnol), and got some wine. It was fun, and right as were turning in, the girl from Spain who lives right down the hall came pounding on the door. It was her birthday, and she thought that we should go party with her.

It was quite funny, she was soooo excited because her friends gave her Tequila as a present. And she wanted to share. Jenn + Tequila = no good. I tried to explain that if I even smelled Tequila, I wanted to yak. (There are two types of people in this world; those who can drink Tequila, and those who can’t anymore. I fall into the second category.) But she kept on trying. I ended up convincing her that all I needed was a beer, it was her birthday, and I didn’t want to take away her Tequila.

And then the poor girl passed out in the middle of her living room floor. And we told her friends that it was tradition in the US to draw on the people who pass out. So they drew on her, and then started drawing on each other. It was so hilarious to watch.

Sunday was my typical homework/ lesson plan day.

But Sunday night we went out. We started the night playing pool, and then went to a Fondue restaurant. It was my first experience in a Fondue restaurant, and it was sooooooooo awesome. I loved it.

And my bed is broken. Which sounds like it has potential to be an interesting story, but it isn’t. It was broken when I came, and the girl before had rigged it so it was fine. But my landlord’s parents came on Thursday to “fix it”. The bed was supported by slats, and they put a solid piece of wood over the slats, and cut the rigging made by the last girl.

So Friday night when I was sleeping, the mattress just fell. Luckily, there is a stow-away mattress underneath, so I didn’t fall to the floor. That would have been traumatizing. Now I am sleeping on the stow away mattress until it gets fixed. And in an apartment that is 13 meters square, there isn’t much space left. I’ve had to move furniture around to accommodate it. It’s not pretty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home