Jenn's Excellent Adventure

I am going to try to keep a travel journal to share with my family and friends. Check out my pictures!

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

On Monday, my History of Literary Paris class walked around the area near my apartment. It was really cool, we got to see some neat places. We saw the famous cafes of the Saint Germain area, Les Deux Maggot, Le Lipp, and the Café de Flore,
Saint Germain des Pres 014 Saint Germain des Pres 013 Saint Germain des Pres 015
and right by there was where Sartre’s mom lived. I also saw the places where Racine and Oscar Wilde died.
Saint Germain des Pres 017Saint Germain des Pres 024
I found out that Picasso lived in an apartment two blocks from where I live.
Saint Germain des Pres 031
And one of the coolest things we saw was the remains of one of the first walls surrounding Paris in 1200. Yes, 1200. It exists in an underground parking structure, a block from my apartment. I feel special, because I would have been protected in the wall.
Saint Germain des Pres 032

And once again, we had gorgeous weather. It was a little cold, but it was sunny, no rain. We even got treated to a rainbow.

And Tuesday was quite a day.

I had my medical exam so I can get my residence card here. It’s funny to me, but they require you to get a medical exam to see if you have any communicable diseases before they let you stay here. However, you have three months to do it in. I have been here for two months already. If I had TB, they would be screwed.

The exam was quite interesting. I had to get a chest x-ray, and that was an experience. They put me into this little room, and I was told to strip from the waist up, and then someone would come get me. So there I was, standing topless, waiting for the door to open. At first modesty came over me, and I was covering myself as I was waiting. And then I thought “how many boobs have they seen today? It’s no big deal”. So when the lady opened the door, I decided to just strut. I think she thought I was crazy.

And once again, it was the attack of English. It says American on my paperwork and before anyone had talked to me to see if I even knew French, they started speaking to me in English. I still kind of feel offended, and I do answer them in French, even if they keep talking English to me.

Everything was fine, I got my silly stamp (the French love their stamps), and headed off to class. From class, it was off to Sylvana’s and Amanda’s for partying!

The Halloween party was so much fun! I decided I didn’t want to spend any money on a costume, I prefer to eat. So I used a bedsheet for a toga, and was a roman goddess.
Halloween 001
It worked out awesome. We cut some ivy and made head thingies. Sylvana was originally going to dress up the same as me, but the sheets weren’t quite working out for her. So she dressed up as a gypsy.

It was sooooooooo much fun. I love Halloween.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home