Jenn's Excellent Adventure

I am going to try to keep a travel journal to share with my family and friends. Check out my pictures!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I’ve been enjoying my vacation from work. But on my real day off, after the Halloween party, I had to meet up with a classmate in the afternoon to go over a presentation that we were going to do on Thursday. I even cut hanging out with Sylvana and Amanda short Wednesday night so I could go home and practice and all that. And of course you know what happened. The teacher called in sick on Thursday. Argh.

It has gotten to be friggin cold here. The weather website says it’s in the 40s at night. I don’t know about the day, but sometimes it doesn’t feel like much more. I am so thankful that it hasn’t been raining. The only thing worse than being cold is being cold and wet.

Speaking of cold and wet, I also now know that I need to buy candles. Saturday night, right after I got out of the shower, the electricity in the entire apartment building went out. So I was stuck with wet hair, no heater, and only moonlight shining in the one window without a curtain. The only thing I could think to do was curl up in my bed so I could try not to freeze to death. By the time my friend called, I was zonked out. Oh well.

Sunday was the first Sunday of November, so that meant free museum day! I decided to go to the Louvre. It was awesome. I was expecting there to be a ton of people, but once I got there, I waited in line for less than five minutes. Sweet.

I saw the things you are supposed to see at the Louvre… La Joconde (The Mona Lisa), The Venus de Milo, and the Winged Victory. Photography is now no longer allowed in some parts of the Louvre, so I couldn’t take pictures of La Joconde, the other DaVinci’s I saw, and the paintings by Gericault and David. Oh well. It’s not like there aren’t 85673027584902584932 pictures of these paintings out there, I just kinda wanted to add my own to the collection.

I have seen most of the paintings when I’ve been in Paris before, but I have learned about the history and things, I can appreciate them so much more.

It cracked me up that there was a guided Da Vinci Code tour. And of course I had to go to the inverted Pyramid. I read the book too, I’m a dork.

But what was almost more awesome was the fact that the Louvre used to be the Royal Palace. And the French Royals knew how to do things. The design, the style, the architecture, it was all so incredible. The floors were so intricate. I could have walked through that place empty and still been satisfied.

As I was leaving the building, it became incredibly modern. The lower floor of the Louvre is now like a shopping mall. Complete with Sephora. And soon, a Starbucks.

Ah well, now it’s back to work. Waking up early. Ick. 7 weeks until my next vacation. And my brother is coming out for Christmas. I am so excited, yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I crack myself up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home