Jenn's Excellent Adventure

I am going to try to keep a travel journal to share with my family and friends. Check out my pictures!

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Je suis ici

I am finally here. Things have been quite interesting the first couple of days, but I am having a great time.

My flight out of LAX was of course delayed. When I was choosing my flight, I had the options of flying out of New York, Chicago or Dallas. New York was kind of a hell no, and I had a bad experience in Chicago, so by process of elimination I chose the flight through Dallas. Silly me. And Sylvana decided to fly with me. Silly her.

When we got on board the flight, the captain decided to tell us that there were problems with the computer, and it kept taking more time to fix. So two hours later (which was my layover time in Dallas), we got in the air. And then, when we were in the air, the captain told us that there were weather problems, and we were in a holding pattern for 45 minutes. I was so sure that we weren’t going to make our connecting flight. They didn’t announce our connecting information on the airplane, and I was sure that the flight was gone and we were going to have to try to get on a different flight. I was hoping in a small way that was going to happen, and praying that the only seats available were first class.

When we finally got into Dallas, we found an agent who told us that our plane was still there. We got to the gate, and they were just closing the door. (Damn, no first class for Jenn). Since I had a similar experience in Chicago, I was so sure now that we weren’t going to meet our bags in Paris. The flight was delayed a little more due to paperwork problems, but finally we were in the air.

The flight was pretty eventless. I was able to sleep most of the way there. The food was actually decent, except for the stale bread they served.

When we landed, Sylvana and I went to the baggage claim, and we were trying to figure out what we were going to do if our baggage didn’t make it. We were going to wait it out, but I was planning for the worst. After almost all the other baggage had come out, and everybody had left, I see a black bag with a pink luggage tag come down the belt. Yay! My bags made it.

I then got on the shuttle, and spoke in French with the driver. It was kind of a good feeling to be able to carry on a conversation with a French person in France. I think the driver mistook my friendliness for flirting, because as we were getting to my apartment, he gave me his phone number, and told me to call him, he would take me out for a glass of wine and maybe a walk along the river. I smiled and said Merci. Ha. The first frenchie I met hit on me.

We finally got to my apartment, and the next adventure started. The driver, in his niceness, offered to help me take my bags up to the sixth floor (remember, there is NO elevator). Of course I was accepted, excited at the idea of not having to lug 150 plus pounds of luggage up by myself. I was told to ask for the concierge when I got to the apartment, she would have the key, and be able to let me in.

Ha! She was on vacation in Portugal. Fortunately, the professor that I am renting the apartment from had arranged to have the key left in the MICEFA office. Great. How was I going to do this? There was some gentlemen who run a bookstore on the ground floor of the apartment building, and after some communication frustrations, we were able to get in touch with the MICEFA office so I could go there and get the key, and they were willing to allow me to keep my bags in there store for a few hours.

Now I had to get to the MICEFA office. I really had no bearing for the trains at all, I kinda just had to guess. I figured out which trains to take, and decided to buy a Carte Orange for the week, just to make things easier, and hopfully cheaper. But not understanding the map of the subway, I decided to buy a card for 5 zones. (I later learned that I only need 2 for now, awesome!, I love paying too much money.) I made it to the office, got the key, and headed back. I actually felt proud of myself for getting all of the trains right, and the right directions too!

So once back at the apartment, I had my suitcases to get up six flights of stairs. Weeeeeeeeeeeee. That was not my idea of fun. I got the first heavy one up, and was dripping sweat. I discovered that not only was it six flights of stairs, but on a spiral staircase. Not easy. So for the next (and super heavy) suitcase, I emptied the first one, and loaded half of the second one into it, breaking the load into two trips. A little easier to handle. I got my last suitcase, and looked at the bed, and just plopped. I think I slept at least three hours.

But I was in my apartment in Paris. Yay! My apartment is on a street that is lined with restaurants and patisseries. The smell is incredible. It breaks my heart to live right next to little bakeries.

When I woke up, I tried to call my mom. I had a couple of phone cards, but they didn’t work. And the phone booth wouldn’t read my credit cards. No internet at my apartment. Makes Skype not very useful.

I decided to head over to the Cité Universitaire, where the temporary housing was set up. I paid for it, so I figured, why not use it? There were a lot of students here from the same program, and they had cooked, and offered to let me eat with them. Finally, my first food in France. I hadn’t even thought about eating up until then. I got to know some of the other MICEFA students, who are all very cool. After eating and talking and drinking a little wine, I decided to go to my apartment. Since there were things strewn all over from my half assed attempt at unpacking, I decided to go back there and get things a little more organized. When I made it back, the bed just looked so inviting. So I slept.

That was my first day.

Second day, waaaay less exciting. I had a hard time waking up, but finally did. It was my first day of orientation. We went over basic information, and on Thursday we will be taking a placement exam to determine our level, and then work on which University we will be attending. Paris VIII, St. Denis sounds like it would be good for me. We’ll see.

I actually finally got around to eating around 3. I went to a little patisserie that is right next to my apartment. I had a ciabatta sandwich with mozzarella and tomatoes. I love French food.

Of course a nap was mandatory, I haven’t quite adjusted to the time yet. And then I decided to head back to the Cité Universitaire. I figure, since I paid for it, I might as well use it. It gives me a chance to get to know and spend time with the other students. I’ll be spending a few nights here, going back and forth between here and my apartment.

My roommate here, Rosie, is so cute. She is from Puerto Rico, and we spent some time talking, venting our stress points, and getting to know each other.

Today I went to Versailles. It is so incredible there, to the point of mind-boggling. And knowing the history behind the place, and Louis XIV’s vision, the man was just a genius. I recommend looking it up if you don’t know. Didn’t really do too much else, I had slept until 10 this morning. Whoops.

It was by far the most interesting day so far on the Metro. The first train I got on in the morning had dancers with a boom box. And my ride home from Versailles had a guy with a portable karaoke machine singing American songs. It was interesting, to say the least.

I had pain au chocolat. That was invented with me in mind. Bread and chocolate. Good lord. Other than that, not too much. I’ve got to spend sometime reviewing French grammar for the exam. And maybe get something to eat. And read Frommer’s.

Still no word on the paperwork front. Who knows what is going to happen. Flying home to get the stupid visa is going to kill some of my savings. I am accepting donations for the “fly Jenn home and back to Paris because the French Bureaucracy sucks” fund. Or, I am looking at the possibility of doing tutoring and babysitting to earn a little extra money.

Between all of the walking and the stairs, I swear I’ve already lost 5 pounds. And my knee seems to be holding up pretty well. My calves are killing me though.

By the way, French men are beautiful.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Paris, and to Paris VIII, where
a few students are bloggers too

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home